Re: kernel config

Jim Lynch (jimlynch@netcom.com)
Mon, 24 Jul 1995 02:46:14 -0700 (PDT)

-Jim Lynch aka enOne (jimlynch@netcom.com)

On Sun, 23 Jul 1995, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Date: Sat, 22 Jul 1995 03:40:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jim Lynch <jimlynch@netcom.com>
> On Thu, 20 Jul 1995 dholland@husc.harvard.edu wrote:
>
> > Proper documentation of the sources is more important, in my opinion. ;-)
>
> I definitely agree! This is MUCH more important! I'd like to see uncompressed
> source trees double in size with inline documentation alone!
>
> Y'all probably know that I take a good look at every patch, and I can
> safely (but not not completely accurately) say that there have been
> about a hundred lines worth of comment-only patches since 1.1.13.

Well, as I said above, there needs to be much more...

> I suspect that this is caused by a lack of submissions. Look at it
> from Linus's point of view: what could be more safe to incorporate,
> than a patch which only changes comments. At least, I can't imagine
> him refusing a comment-only patch, so I guess he hasn't gotten any.

Great in theory... but I don't understand the kernel. Comment-only
patches would be great and everything, but the best comments of all will
come straight from the authors of the code. Will it slow things down a
bit? probably. Will it be worth it a week from now? No. Will it be worth
it when the kernel is mostly commented? definitely.