Re: using "core" as directory name

dholland@husc.harvard.edu
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 13:38:42 -0400 (EDT)

> > From: dholland@husc.harvard.edu
> > Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 16:46:36 -0400 (EDT)
> > Subject: Re: using "core" as directory name
> >
> > > Instead of renaming any directory named "core", please mail a bug
> > > report to the CVS team at <cyclic-cvs@cyclic.com> about this. I Cc'ed
> > > them this message.
> >
> > No, the file name "core" has pretty specific meaning, and CVS is
> > probably not wrong. It seems extremely unwise to name anything
> > important "core", if only because people write scripts that find and
> > remove such files.
>
> These scripts are also broken. If you want to stop core files try
> using limit coresize 0. I could just about forgive CVS getting core
> wrong [so much for platform independance] if it didnt do totally
> stupid things like not spotting core as file v core as
> directory. It should either keep its nose out of the business or be
> educated first.

The fact that such scripts are broken doesn't mean people don't write
them. You know better, I know better, probably everyone on this list
knows better... but it will probably still happen.

I would prefer if the name "core" weren't reserved. Whatever happened
to dumping core as "core.progname"? The code is #if 0'd in the current
kernels, and there doesn't seem to be an explanation of why.

--
   - David A. Holland             | Peer pressure (n.): The force from the
     dholland@husc.harvard.edu    | eyeballs of everybody watching you.