Re: kernel 1.2.13 must be in /usr/src/linux ?

Cerberus (cerberus@ginch.dial.umd.edu)
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 14:45:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Jochen Toppe wrote:

> Have you ever heard of symbolic links?
> Put the kernel into some other directory and then create a link
> from /usr/src/linux to that.
> Like ln -s /wherever_the_kernel_is /usr/src/linux
> Or just change the entry in the include file.

I think I'm going to comment on this, seeing as i found the same
"problem" about a day before I saw the original posting ot this.

I use my linux box (with a full slackware install) to compile kernels not
just for itself, but for other machines running Linux that do not have
the developer's packages installed to save space (IE Minilinux, Linux in
13MB of drive space on top of UMsDOS, works great, but it can't compile
it's own kernels, for obvious reasons).

I went to rebuild a kernel for that machine, and simultaneously for my
own machine (enabling NFS and a certian ethernet card in both), with one
kernel compile running from /usr/src/linux and the other running from
/usr/src/linux.lalala (the name of the machine). The first one finished
fine, the second one did not, bombing out at the above mentioned cd-rom
drivers.

I didn't think source code was directory dependant outside of it's top
level within it's own tree. IE linux/drivers should be able to be in
/usr/src/linux or /usr/local/src/linux .

If this is on purpose, then completely disregard this, if not, I can
supply a few places where this becomes a problem. (I haven't attempted
creating a diff for a patch yet, this might be the opportunity to do so).

thanks!

A happy linux users, 3 times over,

-dave

--
cerberus@ginch.dial.umd.edu, cerb@espresso.eng.umd.edu
http://ginch.dial.umd.edu/

Copyright Dave "Cerberus" Paper 1995, All rights reserved. Microsoft Network and/or America Online are prohibited from redistributing this message in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this message is available to Microsoft Network and/or America Online for $1000.00. Reproducing and/or redistributing this message without permission constitutes an agreement by Microsoft Network and/or America Online to these terms and an intent to pay the fee for each work reproduced and/or redistributed. License is expressly given to any entity not owned wholly or in part by Microsoft Corporation and/or America Online to reproduce and redistribute this message freely and at no cost.