Re: Networking in 1.3.21

Justin McKinnerney (justinm@dtd.com)
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 11:21:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 31 Aug 1995, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> Maybe it cannot resolve names. I have noticed a similar thing at times
> with all kernels. I just did a shutdown, and the problem went away. Do
> you spawn your smtp from inetd?
> -- A fool's brain digests philosophy into
> folly, science
> into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education.
> -- G. B. Shaw

Actually, I thought of this and disabled my name server (which isn't up
anyway) with netconfig. That didn't help any. I'm running a local eithernet
that I didn't enable the name server with yet anyway...

And yes, SMTP is spawned by inetd - which leads me to believe that the
problem lies in the spawn process itself (seing that inetd was not
altered when I switched kernels - it seems logical that the delay
is due to the time it takes to spawn a process). This is espicially
evident due to the fact the TCP connection is established *immeadiately*
and just waits for the daemon to become active. The fact that ping returns
immeadiately also makes this clear, since ping uses the echo service which
is not a spawned process.

Anyway, this all seems very odd to me. Is there anyone else out there who
runs the 1.3.x kernel on a local eithernet and used gcc 1.7 to compile
it? And if so, are you having any similar telnet problems?

- Justin -