Re: Modularising sound configuration

Bernhard Kaindl (bkaindl@ping.at)
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 05:49:36 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995, Hannu Savolainen wrote:
> I don't think this kind of change is required. Unused source files
> produce an empty object file so producing an intermediate library doesn't
> conserve any space. Building the library just takes some extra time.

It was only my quick fix for the problem, and after applying your fix it
doesn't longer produced a rough 5K difference in size, but my patch still
makes a sound.o which is 1267 bytes smaller. Altough this not much, it can
preserve a kernel page when it's on the 4K boundary.

BTW, Linus has added this way of linking sound.o to linux-1.3.28. :-)

Bernhard