Re: extended partitions

Cerberus (cerberus@ginch.dial.umd.edu)
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 02:42:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Oct 1995 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> People that want to be able to boot many systems, and can boot
> only from a primary partition, and use one primary partition
> for the OS/2 Boot Manager, have only 3 partitions left.
> If some of these partitions start past the 1024 cylinder mark,
> they might have no choice.
>
> Typical scenario: MBR starts OS/2 BM. Then OS/2 BM starts the
> desired system, either directly (e.g., DOS or OS/2) or using
> another boot loader (e.g., LILO for Linux).

A very typical scenario. On my system, I use the above idea to allow me
to boot dos, os/2, linux and *coughcough* solaris x86. It also seemed to
solve a problem I had with booting Linux from a scsi drive > 1024
cylinders on my system. It also has some other nice things, IE it takes
care of the problems of which boot manager to use, as Solaris comes with
one, LILO for Linux, etc.

-dave

--
cerberus@ginch.dial.umd.edu, cerb@isr.umd.edu