Re: Swap

Kai Schulte (sp0005@aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de)
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 23:53:05 +0100 (MEZ)

On Mon, 2 Oct 1995 leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com wrote:

> You can get surprises if you do (like I did):
> my primary linux disk is 1 disk
> my swap disk is another disk
> I have EIDE and sleep after 20 minutes...
>
> When I start swapping I have to wait while the disk spins up...

Maybe it would be best to keep your swap, spool files, queues, utmp,
logs, etc. on one disk (not too large/expensive) that never falls asleep
and all the less-volatile files on another. The problem is that symlinks
on your 'main' partition won't do the trick unless you can be reasonably
sure they are being buffered most of the time. I haven't tried this yet...

Kai