Re: Swapfile

Dan Merillat (harik@accessorl.net)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 04:41:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Aaron 'Raz' Wrasman wrote:

> In your message you said:
> >On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, Craig Metz wrote:
> >
> >> In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.951001130647.3015A-100000@dirku.demon.co.uk>, you
> >
> > for $100, you get a 150 meg drive and use it for /tmp and swap,
> > but that is not as optimal, espically when /tmp gets used a lot.
> > (Compiling the kernel comes to mind, as does netscape etc.)
>
> Ahh...but if we could mount /tmp as a ramdrive and use 150 megs as
> swap we would get better performance when it comes to /tmp and we have
> plenty of swap space. We do that type of thing on our SPARC servers in
> our department (in addition to having 96 megs of real memory on them)

OOOH! Good idea. I hadn't thought of that approach. Id probably
want to hack the kernel to tell it that /tmp should _STAY_ swapped
as much as possible. Of course, having 96 megs helps that way too. :-P

(My friend is trying to fill a sparc up with memory-- He's up to
96 and I think he can double that. Or at least he want's to.)

Dan Merillat <harik@eola.accessorl.net>
(Harik A'ttar) <drm89121@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>
Animaniac! Linux Activist and net.junkie