Re: vc scrollback

Bob Manson (manson@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 10:01:03 -0400

On Sun, 8 Oct 1995, Axel Boldt wrote:
> I believe the whole vc system is fundamentally flawed. It is not the
> kernel's business to do console scrolling or console switching. That's
> to be done by a user process, namely by screen, available from all GNU
> sites. It multiplexes a character terminal, giving you all the

Oh, come on. Perhaps the vc system should be modularized, but frankly,
the Linux vc/terminal system is the nicest I've used in years. I
personally think screen is someone's idea of a big joke...the vc
system is a lot more reliable overall, and does it the right way.

Not to mention that screen would have a much harder time supporting
switching between a graphic screen and the text terminal. Yes, there
are ways to do it, but the current system works darn well...it ain't
broke, leave it alone. Thank you.
Bob