Re: logging crash info

Paul Gortmaker (gpg109@rsphy1.anu.edu.au)
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:13:27 +1000 (EST)

Alan wrote:

> > From: root@sasami.anime.net (root)
> > Subject: Linux Sudden Death Syndrome?
> >
> > Has anyone had experience with the "Linux Sudden Death Syndrome?"

[...]

> > Does anyone know causes and perhaps cures for this mysterious syndrome?
>
> Yes and I'm getting utterly fed up of repeating how to get diagonostic
> traces of this to people so they can find out why their specific system
> crashed.

[magic key sequence + good advice for logging info deleted]

Another obvious point that people seem to overlook is that you shouldn't
run X11 while doing this. Crash reports like "The X server just froze."
don't help one bit. Under X you can't use any of the Scr-Lck features, and
worse is that you don't see any messages that make it to the console before
the kernel goes belly up.

It would also be nice if people putting together distributions wouldn't
set the default console log-level so low that important messages get swept
under the carpet by klogd/syslogd. Any untagged printk() calls (which is
99% of them!) get tagged as KERN_INFO (priority 6). Users should set their
klogd/syslogd to ensure the default console log-level is set so that these
get seen. (i.e. "/sbin/klogd -c7" in /etc/rc.d/rc.??? or whatever.)

Paul.