Re: extended partitions

Joerg Reuter (jr196930@lykos.tng.oche.de)
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 20:15:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Zefram wrote:

> And look at it this way -- if a kernel-generated /dev doesn't get into
> the standard kernel, someone -- possibly me -- will write a devfs
> module for userfs.

Did you see that in c.o.l.d.s? --- hmm, gives a nice acronym ;-)

: From: Michael Haardt <michael@cantor.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
: Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
: Subject: Re: /proc/dev: virtual device entries (/dev replacement)
: Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 17:21:10 MET

[..]

: This has already been done. It is called /proc/dev and it works the way
: you describe it.

: > What do you think?

: What can I say, I like it. I would not have hacked it otherwise. :-)
: It is very handy when devices change, e.g. adding or removing HDs,
: CDROMs, or floppies: "/etc/init.d/dev start" and everything will be fine.
:
: You can ftp an older (1.3.14) patch from cantor.informatik.rwth-aachen.de,
: path pub/linux/procdev.tz (GNU zipped tar file).
:
: Michael

Joerg Reuter ampr-net: dl1bke@db0pra.ampr.org
AX-25 : DL1BKE @ DB0ACH.#NRW.DEU.EU