Re: vc scrollback

Dan Merillat (harik@accessorl.net)
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 17:39:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Axel Boldt wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 11:08:17 -0700
> From: Axel Boldt <boldt@math.ucsb.edu>
> To: David Holland <dholland@hcs.harvard.edu>
> Cc: Joe Fouche <fouche@cco.caltech.edu>, boldt@math.ucsb.edu,
> linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: vc scrollback
>
> David Holland <dholland@hcs.harvard.edu> said:
>
> [I said that vc's are bad and should be replaced by screen.]
>
> David> I have my syslog scrolling up on one VC. I don't have to log
> David> out to let somebody else use the console.
>
> So you definitely need scrollback per vc then.

Perhaps. Privacy issues though.

> David> Screen doesn't cut it. Maybe if somebody patches it so it can use a
> David> sequence of more than one character as its escape it will have a
> David> chance of being useful. Maybe. It's still a highly inferior system.
>
> You can of course use multicharacter sequences as escape character
> (using bindkey, and setting your ordinary escape character to
> something that your keyboard never sends). Screen is much better at
> character terminal multiplexing then vc's, but vc's can do other
> things as well.

If I get a chance I'll see if I can get screen to work with
better escape sequences. (rather then one char) So that you could
actually sit at a dumb terminal as if you were on a console. (except
no graphics)

> Is it possible to disable the vc scrollback buffer (privacy concerns)?

alt-f1 f2. Just remember to smack those three keys and the buffer
is flushed. Do it for a day or so and it becomes habit.

Dan Merillat <Dan.Merillat@eola.accessorl.net>
Animaniac! Linux Activist and net.junkie
Also at: <drm89121@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>