Re: vc-switching/scroll back/console driver

Olli Vinberg (vinberg@cc.helsinki.fi)
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 15:57:18 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 15 Oct 1995 owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:

> From: Michael Weller <eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de>
> Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 11:24:57 +0100 (MEZ)
> Subject: vc-switching/scroll back/console driver

[clip]

> Other things are that the x86 memory paging and hardware-irq's would be
> great to be used by grafix appl. What would really be needed is a
> mechanism to reset to textmode on application death, virtualize vga mem
> access and paging, irq's driven accelerator queues. vc-switching even back
> and forth to dead or currently locked applications. (I've an idea on how
> todo that w/o big screen buffers in kernel, with the only disadvantage of
> the currently blocked application showing a black screen when switched
> back to it until it wakes up again which seems senseable to me.). Device
> driver level compatibility to linux-680x0, different rez and FONTS! on
> vc's to allow high speed, say APL-3270 or real vt-100 (with correct fonts
> that is) or IBM-DOS character set whatever), terminal emulations with own
> fonts and the speed-advantages of a textmode screen device.
[clip]

Since we are talking about the console driver...

One thing I have been wondering for a lon time is why is the text-mode of the
console-driver fixed? I would very much like to have 80x25 mode on one and
100x50 on another, etc. And there would have to be some ioctl's for controlling
console-modes. I'm sure this has come up before, but has anyone done any
work on the subject? Or was it a full-blown religious war?

there is ofcourse SVGATextMode but some of it might aswell be in the console
driver.

Olli Vinberg \ Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
vinberg@cc.helsinki.fi \ Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
http://www.helsinki.fi/~vinberg \ in kernel as it is in user!