Re: Service freeze

Steve Thompson (stevet@crimethink.ultratech.net)
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 03:54:24 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Ingram Leedy wrote:

> I've been having problems with the development kernels after 1.3.20.

I'm personally stumped on this one. I've encountered this on my end for a
while with ftp-data *outgoing* only, and now SMTP outgoing. I've got this
117k mail message sitting in my spool that won't go out.

> When a remote dialup user on a modem access something that requires
> buffering, ie (a large mail pop or an intensive web page), the
> server side freezes the communications.

It's quite odd. This has been happening to me for a month. I've now tried
kernels from 1.2.13 through to 1.3.32, though not in that order. I've only
got a measly 486, 16MB, no elf, gcc 2.6.3 (no-strength-reduce), libc-4.6.27
w/syslog patch.

> -- Ingram

Are you going through a Livingston Portmaster? I've bugged them on this,
but they don't have any clues. It doesn't seem to matter what host I'm
going _to_ be it another Linux box or a Sun.

Weird.

Regards,

Steve Thompson, System Administrator & Professional Malcontent
"...if living things didn't work to prevent [death], they would
eventually merge into their surroundings, and cease to be
autonomous beings." - Richard Dawkins, "The Blind Watchmaker"