Re: Service freeze

Ingram Leedy (ingram@ips.ipsnet.net)
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 09:01:46 -0500

>On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Ingram Leedy wrote:
>
>> I've been having problems with the development kernels after 1.3.20.
>
>I'm personally stumped on this one. I've encountered this on my end for a
>while with ftp-data *outgoing* only, and now SMTP outgoing. I've got this
>117k mail message sitting in my spool that won't go out.
>
>> When a remote dialup user on a modem access something that requires
>> buffering, ie (a large mail pop or an intensive web page), the
>> server side freezes the communications.
>
>It's quite odd. This has been happening to me for a month. I've now tried
>kernels from 1.2.13 through to 1.3.32, though not in that order. I've only
>got a measly 486, 16MB, no elf, gcc 2.6.3 (no-strength-reduce), libc-4.6.27
>w/syslog patch.
>

>Are you going through a Livingston Portmaster? I've bugged them on this,
>but they don't have any clues. It doesn't seem to matter what host I'm
>going _to_ be it another Linux box or a Sun.
>
>Weird.

Well I am using the Livinstong Portmaster. Linux Kernel 1.2.13 works fine,
1.3.20 works, but 1.3.28 doesnt.

Maybe I should apply patches to 1.3.20 until it breaks to see which
kernel has problems.

I also experience a problem with 1.3.20 and dummy interfaces. After 24
dummy interfaces I started experiencing problems pinging,
those ethernet addresses above dummy20s.

I removed all the interfacing thinking that was the cause of the problems,
but it didnt help.

-- Ingram