Re: Service freeze

Steve Thompson (stevet@crimethink.ultratech.net)
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:45:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, Ingram Leedy wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Yea, I am using the Livingston Portmaster. Do you think it might be a compatibility
> problem with the portmaster and Linux? I've tried throwing the TCP compatibility
> switch also.

Been there. No effect noted. I don't think that it's Linux in particular,
since I can't send any ftp-data from my home box to any sites on the
Internet if the file is more than about 30K. Similarly, a mail message I
mentioned is 117K and won't go out to my Linux mail hub nor to a Sun box
that is further upstream.

> I wonder if upgrading the OS on the Livingston would help.

I'm still "testing" at this point. I'm not certain of any cause, but I do
know that I have to solve this before some clients start having trouble...

I know that there's some other people on the list that have experienced
this. It's not common, but I think I've noted 5 or so messages alluding to
problems like this..

If anyone is noticing that some services freeze after sending a few dozen KB
and then hang, let me know. It's surely some subtle interaction between
differing system(s) or components. I'd like to amass as much data as
possible.

Regards,

Steve Thompson, System Administrator & Professional Malcontent
"...if living things didn't work to prevent [death], they would
eventually merge into their surroundings, and cease to be
autonomous beings." - Richard Dawkins, "The Blind Watchmaker"