Re: Terminal Emulation program for Linux

Harvey Fishman (fishman@panix.com)
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 10:40:11 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:

> > Harvey:
> > What do you mean by a "print screen".
> >
> > On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Harvey Fishman wrote:
>
> > > Undoubtedly the wrong place for this, but it just fits so well into the
> > > flow of what is being said here. I know of and use all of your
> > > suggestions, but how about a "Print Screen"?
> > >

> perhaps he means that, if you hit the "Print" Key on the keyboard, you'll
> get a hardcopy on the printer. sounds reasonable ... is this possible ?
> read the screen, start lpr and so on ... this way, you could get a hard-
> copy from your screen put to a printer that is connected e.g. on the
> network :-)

Yup, that is exactly what I meant. Reading the discussion here that this
engendered (and some ancillary threads) has shown me much of how to do this
(THANKS guys!!!!) - a script to pipe /dev/vcsax through a suitable filter
to lpr - but there are still two points that I do not see. The first
should be real easy - how can I tell which is the current virtual console?
The second is probably a bit more difficult - how do I bind my script to a
"Hot-Key" - the Print-Screen key? I have done some things with KeyMaps - I
added about 60 more bindable keys to my emacs with some real kluges, so I
do understand a little bit what is happening there, but I do not see how to
tie a key-press to a program. Thanks for any pointers here.

Harvey

Harvey Fishman |
fishman@panix.com | Sum, ergo cogito.
718-258-7276 |