Re: Bug or feature? No EOF on /proc/xxx/fd/x

Martin Buck (Martin-2.Buck@student.uni-ulm.de)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:50:05 +0100

> Ah - sorry, I should have phrased my mail a bit better
>
> I meant to say that the affected kernels don't give EOF on the
> /proc/self/fd file, so you need to ^C it.
>
> But as Andrew Danforth <andrew@synapse.resnet.jmu.edu> writes:
>
> > seems to work for me...:
> >
> > andrew@tentacle:~$ uname -a
> > Linux tentacle 1.3.62 #6 Sun Feb 11 12:02:43 EST 1996 i586
> > andrew@tentacle:~$ cat <(date)
> > Tue Feb 13 13:09:02 EST 1996
> > andrew@tentacle:~$
>
> So this problem may have been solved as of 1.3.62

Not necessarily. If you don't have a symlink from /dev/fd to /proc/self/fd
when you compile bash, it uses a named pipe in /tmp for process substituion.
Then you won't notice this problem (which is why I used the longer example
with cat /proc/pid/fd/...).

As Oleg Kibirev explained, the new behaviour seems to be a feature, so I
guess I'll have to say goodbye to my nice /dev/fd directory :-(

Martin

--
/* Martin Buck                      E-Mail: martin-2.buck@student.uni-ulm.de */
/* Student of electrical engineering   WWW: http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_mbuck1/ */