Re: Telnet and 1.3.61

Skunk Schouten (skunky@skunky.atlcom.net)
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 15:07:51 -0500 (EST)

On 15 Feb 96 at 3:57, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> Alan K. Adamson (ne1h@tornado.ne1h.radio.org) wrote:
> > I've seen some messages about telnet so I guess it's broken in some
> > cases.
> All TCP connections I tried failed with 1.3.60++

Ok, how about THIS for fun?

I run an ftp server over a 28.8 PPP link. Due to the number of people
accessing the server, inetd allows only 15 connection attempts per
minute. All others are immediately refused.

With kernel's .60+, inetd will run fine for a time, sometimes a few
minutes, sometimes a few hours. At the end of that time, it will start
accepting only 15 connections approximately every 10 minutes. After
several hours of this behavior, it stops accepting ftp connections
altogether.

If I kill -HUP inetd, it will happily start accepting connections again,
and the cycle is repeated.

This does NOT happen in .57

(FYI, 486-100, 20mb RAM, aha2842, smc elite ultra, wu.ftpd-fixed and/or
troll ftp (a handy little ftpd that's smaller than big ole nasty wu.ftp),
ELF system, module support (only module running is bsd_comp.o tho) no
IDE, firewalling and fowarding turned on in the kernel (I masq a mac
sometimes))

Jeff

Jeff W. (Skunk) Schouten | Someday, when all the fighting ends we'll
PFC, USMC (Ret.) | all realize just how stupid the things we
skunky@skunky.atlcom.net | fight about are.