Re: torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi == /dev/null ???

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu)
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 10:33:12 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I also sent a simple patch for setup.S that did not break anything,
> > but fixed a bug with some bad Acer BIOS. The bug is still present in
> > the BIOS, and also in the 1.3.62 setup.S. Maybe we need more
> > charisma.
>
> Make it available and get people testing it. Or maybe someone wants to
> get Linus a secretarial assistant ...

You know, that is a REALLY good idea! Isn't there still some
unallocated money kicking around that Linux International development
effort thing (I may have misremembered the actual name of the project)?

Just hire some CS undergrad/grad student that knows C and Linux
well enough, and give them a mailbox that would act like a high-level
filter either in parallel or in series with Linus' mailbox to shoulder
some of the load. Perhaps some CS department could offer one "Special
Projects" credit for doing this or something similar as well.

What about it, Linus? Are you dying under the avalanche of
patches enough to consider something like this? |->

> Some things haven't gone in yet
> because they aren't right, other things have been overlooked - its
> inevitable - it is for example about time I reminded linus about the process
> accounting patches (queued in various forms since 0.98.5).

It is inevitable that, sooner or later, Linus will simply not be
able to have enough waking hours in the day to keep up with all of this
and do the job right. Frankly, I am amazed that he has been keeping the
pace he has been lately, to say nothing of flying off to U.S. to speak! I
would much rather see him get a rest, if desired, than burn out.

Jon Taylor = <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu> | <http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj>
Show your opposition to the Communications Decency Act! VOTE LIBERTARIAN!
"Television is like a really, really good screen saver." - Bill Machrone