Re: tty/pty problem

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 11:35:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, Tony Nugent wrote:

> > The odd thing is I found a solution...but still don't know the problem. I
> > used screen to grab the hung tty (so people could actually log into the
> > system) and started sending control characters to the tty after having
> > tried many other things. Sending xon (Ctrl-a q in screen) to the tty
> > unfroze it.
>
> I'm no expert on this, so I can only summise that a Ctrl-S (xoff)
> character got sent somehow from a buggy interface, or that some
> internal bug in the tty routines is setting off this behaviour.
>
> Does the same thing happen *without* this patch in place?
> (After all, not _all_ patches fix things :-)

This happens equally with or without the n_tty patch.

> Are you sure that there isn't any bugs with the software you're using
> to connect to your system?

Actually, It's never happened to my sessions that I know of. It seems to
happen most frequently when a user dialed into our terminal server
(rlogin'd from the term server to the user box) drops carrier without
properly exiting from the user box...though it certainly doesn't happen
every time a user does that.

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK
jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net | But please ask before sending
http://inorganic5.fdt.net | unsolicited huge files.