Re: Beginners using 1.3

Bruce Murphy (packrat@ratbox.rattus.uwa.edu.au)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 17:34:53 +0800

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.960219114054.187F-100000@zen>,
Robert of the smileys wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, JF Martinez wrote:
>
> > I often see people in the newsgroups complaining about some app
> > not working in 1.3. Some of them seem to be beginners who choose
> > the higher numbered Linux version thinking it must be the best.
>
> The number of people i meet on Linux irc channels and in Usenet who do not
> know about the Linux kernel numbering scheme is very high. This is probably
> because they don't read enough documentation :-)
>
> > Would be nice if at boot time 1.3 printed a message warning about
> > its experimental status.
>
> Good idea, just about everyone reads those messages as they scroll past
> to make sure everything is as it should be.

Are you sure that the people you're speaking about who don't read
enough documentation do this? *You* do, and *I* do, but anyone who
doesn't know about stable/featured releases wouldn't.

Perhaps the onus on the experimental status thing could be passed to
the distributors.

Cheers,

--
Packrat (BSc/BE;COSO;Wombat Admin)