Re: PATCH: Linux high in the sky and more

Hans Lermen (lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de)
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 10:05:28 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> Wouldn't it be nice if the file(1) utility knew about the kernel
> types ("old zImage", "new bzImage")? Does anyone have a patch for that?
> Also, do we still have the old "make zImage" target for simple boot
> floppies?

We did not come yet to update the data base for the file(1) utility,
(can any one help with this?) but yes, this should be done.

And yes, all old make targets exist, and further more I yesterday
succeeded to 'tune' the old bootsector to boot a bzImage, however,
it will not support loading of 'initrd'.(the new patch will be available soon).

LOADLIN accepts also the zImages together with initrd, as far as I
know LILO will also ( Werner? ).

Again, compatibility is preserved for the old formats:

make zImage
make zdisk
make lilo

The new ones are: