Re: Unsure wheter 1.3.66 is the sourse for those problems

Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 13:16:02 -0500

From: Mark Hahn <hahn@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 03:34:30 -0500 (EST)

> Warning: dev (04:c0) tty->count(2) != #fd's(3) in tty_open
> Warning: dev (04:c0) tty->count(2) != #fd's(3) in release_dev

I saw this on a 1.3.59 kernel. 04:c0 is /dev/ttyp0, which seemed
just find. but it turned out that minor number for /dev/console
had somehow been set to 192 as well. this was on a machine where
the user definitely wouldn't have been fooling around with minor
numbers, so I presume some rogue system binary causes this effect.

... either that, or some distribution is setting /dev/console to some
bogus value. If people see this, could they please let me know what
distribution they were running? Thanks!!

- Ted