Re: Linux 1.3.59 / 66 / diald 0.12 locks solid on modem hangup

Oliver Jowett (oliver@sa-search.massey.ac.nz)
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 21:36:53 +1300 (NZDT)

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Eric Schenk wrote:

> Oliver Jowett (oliver@sa-search.massey.ac.nz) writes:
> > I've just run into a nasty problem that's present in at least
> > 1.3.59-mark1, 1.3.59-mark6, and 1.3.66. I run a Linux box as a PPP
> > server (it also runs ftp,http,etc) with 2 modems on a standard serial
> > card. Intermittently, when one of the modems hangs up, the box will
> > lock solid: no VT switching, no ping response, no reboot, no messages
> > to syslog.

[snip]

> I suspect that the problem is being caused indirectly by diald-0.12,
> which is trying to use the bind() call on the SOCK_PACKET socket
> it uses for monitoring. I've had a confirmation that removing the bind()
> calls from diald causes the problem to go away.

Removing the bind() calls seems to fix the problem on my system. Perhaps
someone could look into what's causing this? (my knowledge of the
internals of the networking code is woefully nonexistent...)

Oliver

--
     "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes it
      harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."

-- Bjarne Stroustrup on C++