Re: New old patch - pci.c

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 08:24:23 +0100

On 21 Feb 96 at 17:09, Stephen Lee wrote:

> On Feb 20, 12:11pm, "Ulrich Windl" wrote:
> >
> > If you have configured PCI support, but your computer has no PCI
> > BIOS, it looks as if there are no PCI DEVICES. The following patch
> > gives a better message in /proc/pci.
>
> XF86 can get at PCI configuration without calling PCI bios (using just
> I/O); is there a standard way to do that? I don't have the PCI
> standards...

Basically the BIOS does just work on the hardware; every program can
do that, BUT if you don't have PCI support in your BIOS, then most
likely you don't have any PCI slot in your motherboard.

I don't have PCI specs, but I've seen a nice collection at a book
store (intended for hardware developers, I guess).

Ulrich