(Fwd) Re: renaming core dumps

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:04:48 +0100

Forwarded message:
From: Self <RKDVMKS1/UW>
To: Albert Cahalan <albert@ccs.neu.edu>
Subject: Re: renaming core dumps
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:04:18 +0100

On 21 Feb 96 at 10:26, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> Would you be happy with something less BSD but more logical?
>
> (At least core.<name>.<pid> will not generate core.tar, but
> I still prefer the suffix method.)

>From my own (bad) experience: I wrote a program that is run
periodically from cron. If problems occur, the problem is logged in a
file named after the weekday and the execution time. If you have a
problem over the weekend, you can imagine what happens: A directory
full with garbage, mostly identical files.

With your naming scheme, I can imagine a new type of system attack:
make a program lige rlogind or ftpd dump core repeatedly. It will
fill up the filesystem...

Ulrich
Ulrich Windl Klinikum der Universitaet Regensburg
Rechenzentrum DV-med Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
Tel: +49 941 944-5879 D-93053 Regensburg
FAX: +49 941 944-5882
Just imaging my mail address were <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni.r.de>...