Re: Why not make Linux source modular?

Herbert Rosmanith (herp@wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at)
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 01:06:55 +0100 (MET)

cs95rro@brunel.ac.uk writes:

> Many of the drivers could be distributed seperatly as modules, such as file
> system drivers, some Networking protocols, Net cards etc... and have different
> people maintaining them. Ftape already does this, and it works. (Although
> he is mumbling about integrating it with the kernel...)

is it worth it ? the kernel-source only is 4MB, that's not so big a deal..
personally, I prefer having all drivers/... present at one in one big source
treee, instead of having to fetch each module from, oh horror, different
sites....it's confusing enough to have some modules in different directories
(on sunsite - ftape?). linux-source should be one solid rock :)

/herp