Re: /proc problems: 1.3.6[46]

Stanley Keymer (stankey@keymer.pp.fi)
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:50:02 +0200

At 12:35 25.2.1996 -0500, you wrote:
>> Any ideas?
>
>ideas? so the new ps uses mmap with MAP_SHARED and PROT_WRITE.
>this wasn't supported in kernels before about 1.3.30. there's
>no reason to expect all to work well with obsolete junk like a
>1.2 kernel.
>
>regards, mark hahn.
>--
>operator may differ from spokesperson. hahn@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
> http://neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu/~hahn/

Thanks

But really, why do you consider 1.2.13 obsolete junk? The 1.3 kernel
is only a development kernel. All well and good if all you want do
is test and develop Linux. The 1.2 kernel is stable, and is ok for most users.
When 1.3 is fully stable it become a distributed kernel -> 1.4.
I am sure Linus does not think the 1.2 kernel is obsolete junk.

Thanks anyway for telling me why id does not work with
the 1.2.13 kernel.

-Stanley Keymer