Re: SCSI disk driver module spin-up

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@medman.ag.or.at)
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 08:21:03 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> Perhaps your drive is properly cooled - many are sandwitched between
> the floppy drive and a pile of ribbon cables.
Yep, my drive is now cooled properly: in a external box with it's own
power supply and fan.

> > But for the rest of us, I think that the way to a long-lived machine is to
> > let it run 24x7, especially the drives. Monitors are a different story as
>
> Well, what number of hours running causes the same wear as one spinup?
> Determine this (buy 10000 drives and run them...), then spindown at
> 10% of that time because most drives are not well cooled.
>
> I do think 26 hours is good. If you do not use the disk for 26 hours,
> it is likely that you will not use it again any time soon.
See above. I'd still like the possibility to spin down the drive after
say 30min. My box here is used basically as single-MODEM server, does a bit
of UUCP, ... and it basically takes to much power -> I think downing the
usually unneeded drive would be a good idea.
(The drive is basically unneeded, because I don't store anything of value on
it. The MTBF for this QUANTUM disc is somewhere between 4-6 months
:( over the last 2.5 years. So it doesn't really matter to me, I'm stuck
with it, but I've still 2.5 years of warranty to go :) )

Andreas

--
Andreas Kostyrka
Email: andreas@medman.ag.or.at