Re: Outstanding pre-production issues and next dev. cycle...

Roman Gollent (roman@portal.stwing.upenn.edu)
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:04:35 -0500 (EST)

David S. Miller wrote:

> The performance of the TCP code rivals if not clearly beats
> "production OS's" even on the same hardware. Of course, the is always
> room for improvement always ;-)

Not according to the white paper from Kevin Lai and Mary Baker from
Stanford University. http://plastique.stanford.edu/bench.html. Now,
do take into consideration that they were using 1.2.8, but the numbers
were quite disturbing. I should point out that I obviously like
linux, yet I do believe that it is productive to look at this sort of
stuff and see what is/isn't wrong with it. Believe me, I would like
nothing better than to see Linux beat the crap out of all the other
OSes in every way possible (If only to annoy the BSD centrists ;). Keep the
flames to private email please.

Regards,

Roman