Re: SCSI disk spin-down/up

Lance Kinley (lkinley@wolfenet.com)
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 08:33:31 -0800 (PST)

On 27 Feb 1996 Ray_Van_Tassle-CRV004@email.mot.com wrote:

> FWIW, I've *killed* a couple of drives by doing an idle spindown on my BBS.
> One in particular--it worked ok for years of 24x7. Worked ok for months in
> the BBS, also 24x7. Then I added a 2 hour idle spindown. Within a few
> months--it would no longer spin up unless I shake it. Evidently, being
> spundown for extended periods of time, with power still on caused the
> dreaded "stiction" problem. Granted, this was an old drive (an 80MB Quantum
> SCSI), but still.........
>
> So be VERY wary.
>
> -30- Ray

I wouldn't worry about it too much. We had some 80 and 100 meg Quantum
SCSI drives at UC Davis that would suffer from "stiction" if the machines
(Sparc 1's) were off for any length of time. We later found out from Sun
that Quantum was recalling the drives because they had used the wrong
grease in the spindles...no kidding. Well, we didn't return them all
evidently, 'cause we still had some as of last year. We had to rotate
the whole boxes back and forth really fast to get the drives to spin
up...kinda funny. Unless you've got an older, small Quantum...don't
worry about the idle spindown.

-Lance