Re: your mail

Phillip (pj22298@appstate.edu)
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 23:43:33 +0000 ( )

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, RJ McNamara wrote:

> Two problems with 1.3.69:

[SNIP]

> Also: I've tried several recent kernels and all come up with this message
> right _before_ init boots:
> "VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly"
> ....while this is easy to fix with a "mount -n -w -o remount" command,
> what's the reason for mounting readonly in the first place?

If I'm not mistaken, it's mounted read-only so that fsck will run
proprely, and safely, durring boot-up, and /etc/rc.d/rc.S should remount
it for you...
You might want to look into that file(/etc/rc.d/rc.S) and make sure is is
remounting...

Mine looks (in part) like this :
[CUT]
# Check the integrity of all filesystems
if [ ! $READWRITE = yes ]; then
/sbin/fsck -A -a
# If there was a failure, drop into single-user mode.
if [ $? -gt 1 ] ; then
echo
echo
echo "**************************************"
echo "fsck returned error code - REBOOT NOW!"
echo "**************************************"
echo
echo
/bin/login
fi
# Remount the root filesystem in read-write mode
echo "Remounting root device with read-write enabled."
/sbin/mount -w -n -o remount /
if [ $? -gt 0 ] ; then
echo
echo "Attempt to remount root device as read-write failed! This is going to"
echo "cause serious problems... "
echo
echo "If you're using the UMSDOS filesystem, you **MUST** mount the root partition"
echo "read-write! You can make sure the root filesystem is getting mounted "
echo "read-write with the 'rw' flag to Loadlin:"
echo
echo "loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 rw (replace /dev/hda1 with your root device)"
echo
echo "Normal bootdisks can be made to mount a system read-write with the rdev command:"
echo
[CUT]

Wellcome to the next 3 levels.
pj22298@xx.acs.appstate.edu http://xx.acs.appstate.edu/~pj22298