RE: LILO problems

Barry Fujii (bfujii@best.com)
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 23:07:22 -0800

Greetings,
I once had that problem on a laptop running 1.2.9.
I finally found that by configuring a lilo load script (liloconfig) and _then_ reinstalling lilo I could avoid the sequence of eternal reboots.
I never had that problem with my desktop machine though, go figure...

BTW, anyone know the average size of a typical linux kernel?

Barry

----------
From: Phillip[SMTP:pj22298@appstate.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 1996 12:49 AM
To: Kipp the Kidd
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: LILO problems

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Kipp the Kidd wrote:

> I'm new here, and am not sure exactly where I should post to about this :)
> If someone could direct me to a more appropraite place, i'd be grateful.
>
> Several times I have made the major mistake of installing LILO twice. (IDE
> disks, tried it on 2 different machines) The first install works great, but
> the second time, when the computer boots, it displays 'LI' and freezes.
> Formatting the HD doesn't fix it, redoing the partition table doesn't... in
> fact, the only thing that does is setting the HD's first (few?) sectors to
> 00 and redoing everything... (luckily, i had nothing of value on the disks
> besides linux!)

I've had teh same problem, 'cept mine reboots eternaly. The way I delt
with it was to use a boot disk.

The problem went away when I ran lilo from a script (used the install
lilo in slackware config), but still wouldn't work right.

when I did my first successfull "make zlilo" everything cleared up ( I
think/thought it was kernel size, but what do I know?)

What did I learn from this story:
Slackware 3.0.0 has probems.
LILO might be one of Slackware's problems.
Keep a boot disk handy, AND
never trust a human to do a script's job :)

----
I'm Not Paranoid; Which of my enemies told you that?
pj22298@xx.acs.appstate.edu http://xx.acs.appstate.edu/~pj22298