Re: Outstanding pre-production issues and next dev. cycle...

Simon Shapiro (shimon@i-connect.net)
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:22:15 -0600 (CST)

On 29-Feb-96 Jon Lewis wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Larry 'Daffy' Daffner wrote:
>
> > It looks like we're getting very close to a production release, given
> > the apparent stability of 1.3.68. So, an obvious question comes to
> > mind: What priority bugs remain in 1.3.68? Does anyone have a
> > complete list of what needs to be done before we call it 1.4/2.0?
>
> I've seen nothing about this recently...so what's the status of quota
> support? I know it's been in the 1.3.x kernels for some time. Is it
> finally bug-free? Is it still only implemented for ext2? Many people
> will be very happy to see reliable disk quotas in 1.4/2.0.

My two-cents worth: There is an Error Recovery problem in SCSI-land.
A serious one. Certain failures would cause the system to freeze.
Most HBA drivers do not recover very grwcefuly from hardware failures.
The SCSI tape code locks up devices upon failure and refuses to release
the calling process for what appears to be eternity.

Thanx Linus for the inclusion of MD! Are we still to approach his Majesty
with a ``Yes Master!''?

Also I have a case where a corrupted disk messed up ext2 file system in such
a way that fsck is very happy, but tar or cpio of a given directory just
freezes the system. No other clue :-(

Oh, Also, if an nfs server disapears, the client gets very confused.
Typically it will express itself as a hung telnet server. Don't ask...

There is a bigger issue of boot floppies, modules, on-line configuration,
but we will leave that to 1.5. Right?

Sincerely Yours,
(Sent on 02/29/96, 08:22:15)
Simon Shapiro i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
Shimon@i-Connect.Net 13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140 Beaverton OR 97008