Re: LILO problems

Thu, 29 Feb 1996 13:31:25 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Phillip wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
> > I think you should take a look at the docs for lilo as to what these mean
> > (you should find it at /usr/doc/lilo, in README, or in the doc/ directory
> > if you can deal with TeX).
> > Bryn
> True, but mine got past 'LILO' into the the kernel loading (this was at
> 1.2.13), then rebooted, but only when I _didn't_ use the lilo.conf that
> setup created...
> What could cause this?

Hmm, well it's eather not a LILO problem (you'd have to had loaded the
kernel), or there's something very sutle (sp?) rong with the drive
geomtry, as persived by Lilo (the bios), and so lilo looks for sector X
of the kernel at sector Y of the disk, but got this other sector (say I
had 1 less sector as perseved by the bios, and so you'd loose a sector of
kernel image over the end of the track).
Not useing the lilo.conf that setup created is fine, as lilo (the
command) would complane, and not install the loader.
Bryn

--
PGP key available from any good server   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
1024/EB275221 1995/09/05 Bryn P. A. Jones |            initiated.