Re: Linux isn't an operating system

Jochen F. Toppe (jtoppe@laser04.aspire.cs.uah.edu)
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:46:23 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Richard Stallman wrote:

> This article makes a common mistake: confusing the whole operating
> system with the kernel. Linus Torvalds wrote the kernel, Linux. A

I tend to disagree with you. An operating system is "the
programs to implemented in either firmware or software, that make
the hardware usable. The OS is the primary resource manager of the main
resources ..." (H.M. Deitel, _Operating Systems_). Going after
this definition, the kernel is the OS, and GNU utilities are ummm..
utilities. I guess someone could pull out another definition,
but I think the debate is kind of pointless. Linux is an OS,
and I prefer that to "GNU based operating system utilizing the
linux kernel." ..just my $0.01 ;)

Cheers,

__ _____
/ / _ __ /7 __ _ /_ _/_ _ _ __ Jochen Toppe
n_/ /,'o|,','/ \,'o// \/7 / /,'o| /o| /o|,'o/ Email:jtoppe@cs.uah.edu
// //
---- >>> http://www.cs.uah.edu/cs/students/jtoppe <<<----