Re: video crashing my box?

Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 12:56:11 +0100 (MEZ)

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Curtiss wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Mar 1996 19:18:30 -0600 Larry 'Daffy' Daffner said:
> >
> >I've been having some strange problems with video since at least
> >1.3.68. (It may have been earlier, but I didn't see it). It's
> >happened under both Xfree86 3.1.2 and svgalib-1.2.9. The X locked up
> >when I tried switching from the X vc to a text VC, and just froze
> >completely, with most of the X display still on the screen. svgalib
> >locked up when switching between pictures in zgv. The screen goes
> >black and everything freezes hard. I have to hit the reset button. My
> >video card is a Diamond SpeedStar Pro (CL 5428-based card). Anyone
> >seen anything like this or have any suggestions? Is this possibly a
> >hardware bug? I've already tried playing with the video shadowing in
> >my BIOS, on or off doesn't seem to matter.
> >
> >Any ideas?

Recently I often get such reports for CL 5428-based cards under svgalib.

Unfortunately Harm Haanemayer, original maintainer and programmer of its
CL driver (and quite some Xfree CL stuff as well) left the net.

I must claim that there is either a bug in the 5428 driver (but it
appeared to work before and noone changed it) or that there are some recent
cards out which are not compatible to the old drivers. In either case, I
think someone with a 5428 and willing to spend some time on it is required
to fix it.

P.S. I don't think this belongs to linux-kernel. Should better go to
linux-x11, linux-svgalib and/or the Xfree maintainers which usually don't
read the linux lists.

Michael.

(eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de or eowmob@pollux.exp-math.uni-essen.de
Please do not use my vm or de0hrz1a accounts anymore. In case of real
problems reaching me try mat42b@aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de instead.)