Re: Problems with EIDE driver (I think)

Bruce Lytle (root@halcyon.com)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 12:54:10 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Liam Hudson wrote:

> Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have been using two EIDE drives with Linux for quite a while and have noticed
> > > a persistant
> > > problem. Under heavy load the drive assigned to /dev/hda sometimes hangs, that
> > > is the hard
> > > drive light stays on and the system enventually crashs.
> > >
> > > Looking at /var/log/messages reveals persistant hard drive errors of the form:
> > >
> > > Mar 6 09:11:53 hudsonpc kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > > Mar 6 09:11:53 hudsonpc kernel: ide0: reset: success
> > >
> > > This is always with /dev/hda never /dev/hdb/
> > >
> > > Playing around with the setting using hdparm does not seem to make any differen
> > > ce.
> > seems like your first harddrive ist dying :-(. i've seen a lot of those
> > messages before i replaced my old 105Meg Seagate with a newer (and bigger) one.
> >
> > make a backup of the filesystems on hda ASAP!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Axel.

> You could be right.
>
> The only problem with this suggestion is that the HD NEVER hangs under (and I hate to say this)
> windows 95 or windows 3.11 or windowsNT (3.51/4.0). I have only ever seen these problems under
> Linux.
>
> Here, is another such error I've just got....
>
> Mar 7 09:41:22 hudsonpc kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> Mar 7 09:41:22 hudsonpc kernel: ide0: reset: master: error (0xd0?); slave: failed
>
> If it is my hard drive then I have a 5 years warranty on it. But how could a prove that it is the hard drive at
> fault ??

Bruce adds:

I've had EXACTLY the same problems `status=0x58' etc..
I got these alot with 1.3.[5x 6x], but a review of my messages/syslog
reveal NONE of these errors since using 1.3.71 (about 6 days now).
Someone told me that my harddrive was bad, I didn't/don't believe `em!
(although I AM trying to get ftape to work with my old Colorado Tape drive!)
Try out 1.3.71 if yow haven't already, let me know if your problems goes
away too.