Re: A dos based Linux system

Jurgen Botz (jbotz@orixa.mtholyoke.edu)
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:08:54 -0500

Hans Lermen wrote:
> On 10 Mar 1996, Jurgen Botz wrote:
> >
> > GO32.EXE can't, but there is a program that can run a linux exectuable from
> > DOS... it's called LOADLIN.EXE ;-)
>
> LOADLIN is a BOOT-LOADER for Linux, not a kind of extender.
> ( believe me, I'm it's author )

I guess my point was too subtle... there is no 'extender' to run Linux
programs and never will be. To run Linux programs you must run Linux.
LOADLIN runs Linux from DOS (of course it never returns.) You could
have a Linux kernel with UMSDOS fs on your DOS disk and an /sbin/init
that just runs a specific application, and that's the closest you'll
ever get to a 'DOS extender' for running Linux programs.

--
Jurgen Botz, jbotz@mtholyoke.edu
"Unix?  What's that?  Is that like Linux?"