Re: on debugging loadable modules...

lilo (lilo@lions.reseq.ungov)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 23:24:00 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> Since there is already a more-or-less defacto standard for where to
> put modules, ksymoops would know where to look by default for the
> symtab files by default, and if there's a command-line options that
> allows you to specify it, both insmod and modprobe users will be
> happy.

I guess I don't see any reason to plunk files down into /lib/modules
something, which might even be on a read-only fs, by *default*. As long as
insmod has a command-line option to specify where the file goes, and
modprobe has a config option, let's not write out those files by default at
all. Better to specify to ksymoops where the files are kept (if you
normally specify it to insmod) or simply let ksymoops check a config file
(possibly modprobe's). YMMV....

lilo