Re: ftp receive problems 1.3.75

roque@di.fc.ul.pt
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 02:23:33 +0100

Bob> I'm having trouble with ftp receive with 1.3.75 (and 74..71).
Bob> Using regular ethernet there doesn't seem to be a problem,
Bob> but when I use a network with a larger MTU, things hang. I'm
Bob> suspecting tcp or maybe skb stuff. I am able to telnet and
Bob> cat files in a while loop between the same two machines
Bob> freja: rsh pandora-t (on pandora) rsh freja-t (on freja)
Bob> while 1 ; cat * ; end

Bob> I have tried shrinking my MTU size to 1500, but that doesn't
Bob> seem to help. When I shrunk the MTU size I did NOT shrink
Bob> the size of the sock_buffs I was allocating. That was left at
Bob> approximately 8500bytes. I'll next try to shrink the MTU and
Bob> the buffer allocation size.

The trace you sent was with MTU reduced right ?
The mss is beeing negotiated to 8392 bytes but the mtu is 1500 i would
guess.. the send code (tcp_do_sendmsg in tcp.c) uses, incorrectly i
would say, sk->mtu to allocate the packets but some other parts of the
code relly on the bigger sk->mss... that would explain the "truncated
ip" packets tcpdump warns about.

Ok... I think this one shouldn't be too hard to fix ... could you now send us a
trace about the original problem ?

Bob> In case it helps, I've included a uuencoded, gzipped tarfile
Bob> with 3 files

They help a lot thank you...

regards,
Pedro.