Re: inetd Messages

David Lynes (dlynes@juliet.stfx.ca)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 23:22:30 -0400 (AST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Eugenio Jimenez Yguacel wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, David Lynes wrote:
>

> > Could someone please tell me what the following message in the syslog
> > file means?
> >
> > inetd[44]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1
> > [last message repeated 26 times.]
>
> inetd is trying to run the netbios-ns daemon. If it doesn't exist (see in
> usr/sbin) you can avoid these messages comenting out the last two lines
> in your etc/inetd.conf file (Samba stuff)

------[snip]-------

Thanks to all who responded to the original request for info regarding
the inetd messages.

The lines invoking smbd and nmbd are both included in the inetd.conf
file that arrives with the installation of Slackware 3. They are there
whether you have Samba installed or not. As I don't, there are no man
pages for either. What puzzled me was that I have been running the
system for a long time without every receiving this message in the syslog.
Now that I know more about inetd, I assume it has something to do with
the fact that I was recently hooked into a new network which must include
calls which triggered inetd's attempts to run the missing file. At any
rate the problem was solved following the advice I received, all of which
was much appreciated.

It occurs to me that there can be many reasons for a sincere interest in
kernel development discussion by people who do not have the training to
be as well versed in its intricacies as most of the active participants.
Perhaps we could be forgiven for infrequently thinking we have a kernel
related question when we don't?

Thanks again,
David Lynes