Re: X and 1.3.77

Albert Cahalan (albert@ccs.neu.edu)
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:46:43 -0500 (EST)

> From: Jon Charette <egotrip@tiac.net>
>
> Sorry, I'm sure this is the wrong place to post this, but I am
> wondering why X refuses to start with the new kernels ( 1.3.60+ ).
> I am using the S3 accelerated server, trying to start it in 8
> bit mode. It seems xinit goes ok until the video mode switches
> and bang.. just an empty screen and a crash.

Someone keeps adding 8086 code to automaticly probe your video
hardware. It is not a config option, and it causes problems.

It is _not_ related to GGI, which uses 32-bit kernel modules.
(BTW, GGI has a driver for plain VGA now, plus the S3 one)

The hack is not even a video driver like GGI. It just tries
to do what SVGATextMode does, but in the boot code.