Re: stty -a rows/columns still broken (1.3.81).

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 07:13:47 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Tim Wright wrote:

> I read the mail from someone saying this was a common problem and it rang
> a few bells.
> I checked and found this was a problem on Sequent about 2 years ago.
> In this case, the bug is in the TCP stack and the fix was as follows:
>
> Intermittently when using rlogin into a DYNIX/ptx system the terminal window
> size will not get set. The "stty -a" command shows rows=0 cols=0.
> Investigation showed this is caused sometimes, by TCP not setting the URG
> flag or urgent pointer when retransmitting a frame that contains urgent
> data. Fast Patch 203460 corrects this problem so if urgent data must be
> retransmitted the urgent flag and pointer will be correct.
>
> Might be worth checking out if this is the case with Linux.
>
> Alan ?

Actually, it was a bug in signal handling. People who saw this might try
out my pre-patch-1.3.82 on ftp.cs.helsinki.fi which should fix it.

NOTE!! It's a pre-patch for a very good reason: it has some problems in
other areas. I don't recommend running this for anything that is
critical, but if you want to live dangerously..

Linus