Re: UDP: bad checksum.

David Monro (davidm@cs.su.oz.au)
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 21:32:55 +1000 (EST)

Delepine Jean Charles wrote:

> Hello,
> Since I upgrade my system to linux 1.3.73 and above (actually .81), I get
> the message :

> UDP: bad checksum. From 00000000:68 to FFFFFFFF:67 ulen 308

I wouldn't worry about this too much - it just means some hardware on your LAN
is sending broadcast bootp requests with bad checksums. It is nothing wrong
with your Linux box. If you get a _lot_ of these perhaps you should try and
track down what box is causing them, and find out why it is constantly
requesting bootp services (use tcpdump to find the ethernet hardware address,
look that up in one of the lists of ethernet manufacturer prefixes to find the
maker, and go see your network admin). (Does anybody know which boxes are
usually responsible for this? I get them so rarely it isn't worth running
tcpdump continuously and filtering the results afterwards.)

I find it surprising you don't get them with the other configurations you tried
- I`ve been getting these for about a year now on all the Linux machines on our
LAN. Coincidence perhaps? Or is it the change in kernel loggin levels causing
things to go to the console which previously wouldn't have?

David