Re: Problems raising fd limits in 1.3.78-1.3.80

Roman Gollent (roman@portal.stwing.upenn.edu)
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 12:31:36 -0500 (EST)

Stephen Tweedie wrote:
> Yup. I wonder if it's worth upping the limit in libc (as exported by
> linux/fs.h) to 1024 anyway? It only really affects the size of the
> fd_set, so it doesn't cost much. It ought to be pretty easy to make
> the kernel's maximum fd number configurable, with processes inheriting
> the current default value on fork() (we probably don't want to change
> the fd table size dynamically on existing processes).

This brings up another point. How much of a rewrite is required to be
able to dynamically reconfigure certain kernel variables without
recompilation?

I'm thinking of an /etc/sysconfigtab (Digital Unix) equivalent where
one can edit the parameters, reboot the system and have them take
effect.

Roman