Re: sysvinit problem

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@drinkel.ow.org)
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 22:04:27 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <4k5bqi$7s@portal.atak>, Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>If I am right in thinking that the 'sysvinit problem' everyone keeps talking
>about stops you from being able to change runlevel down, this is certainly not
>a kernel problem. I have been using latest 1.3 kernels since 1.3.60-ish, and
>sysvinit 2.57b works perfectly. Therefore, I think it must be a problem/bug
>introduced in a newer version of sysvinit triggered by changes in the kernel
>somewhere along the line after 2.57b.

That's right. As of 2.58, a named pipe in /dev is used to communicate
with init. That pipe was opened by init as O_RDONLY, and that
should have been O_RDWR to be truly portable, even though
init only listens on it.

Mike.

--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  http://         +