Re: Solutions to procps and 1.3.xx queries is needed! READ!

Chris Salinardi (csalin01@kepler.poly.edu)
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 02:59:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Greg Patterson wrote:

> A solution to all these annoying procps questions is really needed. Some
> ideas off the top of my head:
>
> 1. Users subscribing to linux-kernel should receive some mention of this?
>
> 2. Perhaps some sort of probe (ps --version) can be made which runs
> during a 'make config' (does Configure allow for this?) that tells the
> user she needs to get a newer procps package (and where to get it!!).
>
> A nice big warning dialog in make xconfig/menuconfig should also
> exist.
>
> 3. At least mention a new procps is needed in /usr/src/linux/README so
> those with partial clues (ie. people who take the time to at least
> read the README) won't come asking here.
>
> Greg.

You have some good ideas, perhaps this problem as well as others can be
addressed by sending an introductory message (nothing long) to new
subscribers, it could include the procps notice as well as any other
"simple" solutions to problems. It could also get new people up to date on
the list's current direction. Personally I still feel guilty for posting
a few weeks ago asking about the procps problem, (Yes, I'm one of the
cretans). How difficult would it be?

Chris