Re: Idea for fixing newbie questions!

Jochen Toppe (jtoppe@hiwaay.net)
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 19:01:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Chris Ricker wrote:

> Okay,
>
> Everyone's getting tired of people asking questions like "why does top
> give a floating point error ?" and other such questions. It has been
> suggested that a file be added to the 1.3.x distribution with a list of
> what utils newbies to the series need to have to run them.
>
> I think such a file would be a useful idea, so I'll try to compile one
> and send it to Linus.
>
> Here's a list of what I know is definitely needed:
>
> procps-0.99a (available at tsx-11)
> modules-1.3.57 (or later? 57 is available at the same location as the kernel)
> ppp-2.2.0e (or later? Linus posted a suggestion that maybe the latest is
> contributing to the weird slowdowns some have encountered. I haven't a
> clue about where this would be found, as I don't need ppp.)
>
> Are there any others I've missed?

Yes, sysvinit 2.60 (unless you like the "Can't read initrequest"
errors ;-) ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/debian/sysvinit-2.60.tar.gz

Oh, just a by the way - about ppp. I've been running the same pppd
for a while (2.2 patchlevel 0) and I have neither found an increase
nor a decrease in speed!?!?

Cheers,

__ _____
/ / _ __ /7 __ _ /_ _/_ _ _ __ Jochen Toppe
n_/ /,'o|,','/ \,'o// \/7 / /,'o| /o| /o|,'o/ Email:jtoppe@cs.uah.edu
// //
---- >>> http://www.cs.uah.edu/cs/students/jtoppe <<<----